Wednesday, October 31, 2018

Jennifer Hill Breakes Stereotypes and Pushes Forward With Her Music

Photo by Mandi Martini designs by Kristin Costa

I had the pleasure of interviewing Jennifer Hill or as we know her as Murderous Chanteuse - an inspiring artist, singer, female and mom who not only creates awesome music but also helps other female artists as well at SWAN Day CT. She is also a survivor of domestic violence, sexual assault and gun violence and that only made her stronger to inspire and change with her music.

Photo by Mandi Martini at SWANDAYCT 2018

1. Who is Murderous Chanteuse? Why did you choose that name? 
Well, Murderous Chanteuse is a different form of myself as a singer/musician. It’s still the music of me, Jennifer Hill, but in this particular incarnation it’s my pop loving self. The guilty pleasure parts of my music that I felt didn’t have a voice in my previous projects. I chose that name after working hard on some music and a friend said “you killed it.” It’s also in a way taking back a word that terrified me. I have had close experiences with death due to the abuses I have endured and I wanted to make any connotations to that act positive so I could move on from the weaknesses I felt being an abused partner.

2. What inspired you to do music? 
It was born into me. The first song that I knew by heart was Janis Joplin Bobby McGee. My mom taught me that when I was three years old. By the time I was five years old I was singing the songs from the movie Annie in the playground,at the request of my friends. They used to make me sing it over and over to the point I would try to hide on them during recess. I ended up going to college with a scholarship for vocal performance and have a degree.

3. How would you classify your music - a mix of what artists?
That is such a hard question to answer as an artist. I think a lot of my music shapes my experiences in life and the musical backdrop that came with them. Bjork and Madonna are two huge influences in my life as well as Phoebe Snow and Tori Amos. Two current artists that I love are Billie Eilish and Florence and the Machine.

4. What makes your music unique? 
It is genre bending. It doesn’t have one unique formula it sticks to. I write what I feel. That may be electro or rock, dark pop, or an alternative ballad. I write what I feel and the music moves me.

Photo By LSG original 

5. How has music changed your life and the life of others around you? 
Well, it’s helped me to connect and meet a lot of people. It has also taught me a lot about growing a business and sustaining it. As soon as you graduate from college or decide to start the path of becoming a musician, you are your own business. That is something that was not really talked about during college. I guess we all expected to either get the amazing auditions or become famous and that is not really a reality for many musicians and songwriters. But you can make a living if you are smart and you put yourself in all different directions music wise. I am always learning as a musician and I am always evolving because of that. I think that it has also changed my life for the fact that I look younger than I am and a lot of people around me do. I believe working within art and music, although it is not easy, enriches your soul, which in turn makes you look like you are younger and more vibrant person.

6. Favorite female artists? 
Madonna, Bjork, Billie Eilish, Phoebe Snow, Portishead, Sia, Florence and the Machine, Joni Mitchell, Janis Joplin, TOO MANY TO LIST!

7. How many albums, EPs and songs have you written by now? 
I have written more than a hundred songs in my life time.. many haven’t been released or are not recorded. I’m working on fixing that now. Recording is not cheap and I’m not rich 😆 so far I have three EPS out and two singles.

8. What inspires your lyrics and style of music? 
What ever moves me in life. I went to college for music so I’m also a trained opera and musical theatre singer so I can hear some of those influences in my writing styles at times but truly my inner playlist is so diverse that I just write what the radio in my head hears.

9. What and when is the next album or EP coming out? 
Well, I'm hoping for a full length album by the end of March.

10. Your message to your fans? 
Thank you for believing in me and my music, and if you follow me personally on my various social media platforms then please know that I am out there telling my stories for you. I have been told by a few people that I gave them the courage to leave abusive situations and I want to give kudos to all of you that have done that and I want to give strength and support to those who are not ready to leave yet. It is an important time for women to stick together and women in the arts especially because the arts are where humanity lies.

Photo by Jill Hart


To follow Jennifer Hill and listen to her music:








             Album art by James Polisky



No comments:

Post a Comment