Monday, June 24, 2019

Great new short film on Amazon Prime - "Alive" directed by Luis Iga



This past week I had the chance to see a really fun and interesting short film called "Alive" directed by Luis Iga ("Murder in the Woods"). The film was part of All Voices Film Festival on Amazon Prime, which ends on June 24. Even though the film was only 15 minutes long it was enough time to show concepts such as love, betrayal, romance, hurt and important life choices. I found the film simple on the outside but yet rather complex on the inside and with a very surprising and provocative ending. I absolutely recommend it!


The film's synopsis:"Alive" follows the story of Gabriel, a Mexican immigrant and Alison an American woman, both in their mid-twenties that meet in a shared ride service and fall in love. Life throws them a curve-ball that will define their destiny. With an abstract and artistic ending the audience will be the judge of their fate. The film stars Pepe Gamez and Samantha Miller.

I spoke with the director about the film as I was in deep thought about the ending and wanted to know more. This is what he said to me:

"Pepe Gamez came to me with this story and I connected with it since my first girlfriend was from the USA and it was a big lesson for me on how different the two cultures are. In Mexico when a girl breaks up with you, you chase her to get her back. They like that because it demonstrates that you are really interested. In the USA if you do that you’ll get a restraining order. It was very hard for Pepe and myself to understand how someone can be loving you one day and be cold and distant the next. In the USA you have to let it be and hopefully she will realize or not what she has lost. Pepe and I wrote the story together based on his idea. We shot the film in four days with minimal budget and favors from friends. It is such a complex topic to be tackled in only fifteen minutes, that’s why we left the ending open," Luis Iga.


You can find more reviews of the film here: http://bit.ly/AliveReviews.


You can watch the film here: www.alivethefilm.com


No comments:

Post a Comment