Friday, February 8, 2019

Ariel Fox returns on "Hell's Kitchen" to win it

For its 18th season, "Hell's Kitchen" returns with a twist: pitting veteran contestants against rookies. For the first time in "Hell's Kitchen" history, eight accomplished chefs who have competed in previous seasons – and lost – will be brought back for a shot at redemption.These veterans will need to go up against eight ambitious rookies who are equally eager to show Chef Gordon Ramsay they have what it takes to be the next winner. 

Each week, the chefs will be put through rigorous culinary challenges but only those who possess the right combination of ingredients will continue in the competition. At stake is a life-changing grand prize: a position at the world’s first Gordon Ramsay Hell’s Kitchen Restaurant at Caesars Palace Las Vegas and $250,000. 


Check out my interview with one of this season's finalists - Ariel Fox. She’s an incredibly accomplished chef having spent time innovating in some of the most prestigious kitchens in the industry and helping launch several nationally renowned restaurants including STK, Harding’s and ACME. Currently, she’s the Concept Executive Chef at Dos Caminos. Prior to that, she spent three years re-imagining the culinary experience with OTG Management where she helped revolutionize and elevate airport dining. As the Terminal Executive Chef, she developed 36 unique dining concepts for the $100 Million United Terminal build-out at Newark International Airport.  

See what she had to say minutes before the finale:

How do you feel? Everyone is cheering for you as a winner?
Things are getting exciting! Everyone is leaning towards me as a winner. It is a completely different experience this season than it was last season. It is nice to see people supporting me. Competing the first time I developed new sound philosophy in life. I started embracing what makes me uncomfortable. In doing this competition I look at the uncertainty as an opportunity and the challenges as motivating. I welcome chaos and confusion all around me. My motivation was looking at things that scare me the most and create power.

What sets you apart from the rest of the competition this season?
What sets me apart is a lot of chefs in the show do what they know and stay in their comfort zone. I thrive of doing something that I have never done before. This is what stands out for Chef Ramsay. Every time I make something new he asks if I made it before. I challenge myself to make it and I did it in 45 min.

What have you learned from the rookies on this show?
It is interesting because the culinary world that I came up in was in such a different time. There wasn't a lot going on. They have it harder than I did. There is so much pressure and competition. I have so much respect for them. They are against immense pressure in a very saturated industry. I learned a lot from these guys. They are good chefs and bring a lot to the table in their carrier.

What will you do different this time?
I didn't get to make it this far last time around and to run my own restaurant. I think that my experience will set me apart. I want to make sure I put everything I got into it. I will bring every bit of hospitality to the finale. I will show how to run a kitchen better than anyone else and give everything that I have.

Does Chef Gordon Ramsay have a soft side we don't get to see on the screen?
Everyone gets to see Ramsay so harsh and screaming. In all of his shows he has this approach and that's how we know him. What I love most about him as a mentor is that he is approachable, has such a wealth of knowledge and I  can talk to him about everything in life. He will always give you such a true and sincere answer.

What have you learned from him as a chef and being on the show?
I did reach out to him between filming season 6 and now. I was faced with a decision between two jobs on the table. There were a couple of times I reached out for advice and I was given what I needed to hear and I was able to make my respective decision based on his advice.

How has your career changed since you were last on the show?
I decided to move to NY after I filmed the first time. That was the turning point for my career and when I really upped my own game for myself. I took a job with a renowned chef. I am very proud of that project and my career went off. I haven't looked back since.

What does it take to be a successful female chef in America?
Being a female chef and a new mom it is challenging. It definitely makes you stronger. Every day is filled with uncertainty and there is always a new challenge I wake up to. It's a lot to work in this big city and oversee the number of restaurants and I have a family but it's all part of the process. I am very careful about setting goals for myself. I am very specific with what I want and do whatever it takes to get there.

What is the healthy balance between all of that?
In my type of industry and at this level you are working all the time. You excel but you have to be sure to have time for yourself and your family. It is mind blowing how they change. I didn't want to loose all of that. You have to put boundaries for yourself and let people know this is my time. I need to be there for my family. Boundaries, boundaries!

What is your favorite dish and why?
I have two favorite cuisines - Mexican and Italian. The Mexican because I grew up in California. Italian is my second love and my favorite place to travel. The ingredients there are so much better. I am devoted to cooking steak and seafood.

Where can the fans see more of you after the show?
There are some projects that are coming up. Working on a chef series dinner - pop up dinner. I will always put that on social media. I am also working on a book and you will love it.

What can we expect to see in the finale?
It is going to be an insane wild ride with complete twist of events. You will see me stunned for the first time of my life. Chef Ramsay throws a complete curveball. It will be a lot of pressure and one of the most exciting things I have ever done.

What would you like to say to your fans?
I want to thank everyone who has been watching and supported me since season 6. My advice is really to not worry about these shows, stay true to yourself and if you love to cook and that's where your heart is you will find success because food is love.

What went wrong in Season 6?
I think that the first time around I wasn't able to find comfort in that environment, I was avoiding it. I realized that you have to love it  and be able to produce and perform. I wasn't ready and 10 years later I realized where I thrive and need to own it and where my power comes from.

Catch the finale of "Hell's Kitchen" on FOX at 9 pm.

No comments:

Post a Comment